Glasgow's WPBR Pay Monster



Councillor Robert Connelly was first of the blocks in responding to my email on the future of the City Council's WPBR pay scheme - here's what Robert had to say along with my reply.

Dear Mark Irvine,
 
My colleagues Cllrs Meikle and Kerr sit on the City Administration Cmte and recently voted to stop the legal process and start negotiations / settlement. The Conservative Group and I agree with this position. My two colleagues continue to take an interest in the issue and receive regular updates from the Council Leader and Chief Executive.
Best Wishes,

Councillor Connelly


Dear Robert

Glasgow's WPBR

Many thanks for your prompt reply to my email.

I was in touch with Cllr Thomas Kerr last month, in the run-up to the Administration Committee meeting, and I do understand that your councillor colleagues voted to stop the legal process and start settlement negotiations with the aim of bringing this long-running dispute to an end.

However, the specific point I am raising with you now, as my local councillor, is that the WPBR represents a major obstacle in these negotiations because the City Council's 'unfit for purpose' pay scheme is riddled with discrimination from top to bottom, as I explained using the example of the NSWP's bizarre 37 hour 'rule' which is completely arbitrary and unjust.

So the real issue is where you and your councillor colleagues stand on replacing the WPBR with new pay arrangements which command the confidence and support of the council's largely female workforce.

If you would like to discuss the matter before responding in more detail, I would be happy to meet with you and your colleagues, Cllrs Meikle and Kerr.

The case for getting rid of the WPBR seems overwhelming to me and I hope that this will be supported by councillors in Glasgow on an all-party basis.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards



Mark Irvine 

Now as far as I know, Councillor Connelly is a relatively new councillor and may not be too familiar with the history of the WPBR.

So I think we can cut him some slack, even though I've been sending Glasgow councillors lots of detailed information about the discriminatory nature of the City Council's WPBR pay arrangements, on a regular basis, for many weeks.

The key point is that this is not 'rocket science' and if you ask me, it should not have taken a 10 year battle and a unanimous judgment from Scotland's highest civil court to expose the fact that the WPBR is 'unfit for purpose'.

Which is why it is important that elected councillors make their views clear to senior officials in Glasgow who have been defending the indefensible since the WPBR was first introduced back in 2007. 

  


Glasgow - Breaking News! (15/02/18)



Here's a letter regarding Glasgow's 'unfit for purpose' WPBR which I have sent to my local city councillors - there are actually four in my ward of Glasgow Calton: 

Jennifer Layden (SNP)
Picture Not Available


Cecilia O'Lone (Labour)
Picture Not Available


Greg Hepburn (SNP)
Picture Not Available


Robert Connelly (Conservative) 
Picture Not Available

A separate letter to my local MSP and MP will follow later today or tomorrow, and I will share details of all the replies I receive on the blog site - including any 'nil' responses.

The more people who get involved in this particular campaign, the better it will be for all concerned because the WPBR is a major obstacle to finding a just settlement of all the   outstanding equal pay claims.

So go to it Glasgow - and don't forget include your home address, post code and contact phone number!

Dear Jennifer, Cecilia, Greg and Robert

Glasgow's WPBR

I refer to the following post from my blog site and draft motion on Glasgow's WPBR pay scheme.

As my local councillor, I would be grateful to know if you accept the Court of Session's judgment that the WPBR is 'unfit for purpose' and whether you agree that the WPBR needs to be replaced with a new job evaluation scheme which commands the support and confidence of the City Council's largely female workforce?

I look forward to hearing from you soon and if you would like to discuss the matter before responding, please give me a ring on my mobile - 12345 678910

Kind regards



Mark Irvine

Home address and post code

  

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!