An Honest Friend



My younger brother Kevin would have been 50 years old today had life not dealt him a short hand as he travelled through Bolivia back in March 2012 on the 'journey of a lifetime' to Tierra del Fuego.

I miss Kevin's easy charm and cheery company to this day, along with his many friends, but I think of him often and Kevin's memory never fails to bring a big smile to my face.

One of my most treasured possessions is a small omelette pan which I brought back to Glasgow from Kevin's house in Whistler, British Columbia, after his funeral.

I use the pan regularly for a whole variety of culinary purposes and because Kevin and I shared a passion for cooking, this mundane little object always reminds me of the good times we shared together.

How strange it is that a small, virtually worthless piece of metal can create such a powerful connection after all this time. 

  


An Honest Friend (25/01/14)



To the memory of my younger brother Kevin who loved to celebrate Burns Night in the company of his friends, good food and a fine dram.

Kevin John Irvine: born 12 August 1967; died 29 March 2012 

An Honest Friend by Robert Burns

Here's a bottle and an honest friend!

What wad ye wish for mair, man?

Wha kens before his life may end, 

What his share may be of care, man.


Then catch the moments as they fly, 

And use them as ye ought, man:

Believe me happiness is shy, 

And comes not ay when sought, man.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!