Blame Game at NLC


A regular reader from North Lanarkshire has been in touch about my recent post on the 'blame game' within the Council's senior ranks and to ask, given the way things are going, if an emergency supply of 'incontinence' pads might soon be required over at Motherwell Civic Centre where all the big wigs hang out.


Now I don't know to be honest although I'm pretty sure some of these people are receiving a very hard time, and rightly so in my opinion after so many years of making a complete hash of equal pay.

The reader also says that it would be 'criminal' if senior figures within the Council were allowed to abandon ship at this late stage with a big golden handshake paid for by public funds.

I couldn't agree more, I have to say and in another sign of desperation North Lanarkshire Council has just issued a press release 'regretting' the delay in settling all of its outstanding equal pay claims, which is ridiculous because the only reason there is not a settlement is down to the Council's failure to put a sensible offer on the table - one that Action 4 Equality Scotland can recommend to its 3,000 plus clients.

I'll have more to say on this in the next few days, but if you ask me it's a sign that the leadership of the Council is now in a terrible panic.

North Lanarkshire News (17 November 2014)



My sources within North Lanarkshire Council (NLC) tell me that there is great tension between senior officials and the politicians over the terrible mess the Council finds itself in over equal pay.

A blame game seems to have started over who exactly is responsible for implementing new pay arrangements which essentially left the old 'gender pay gap' still in place, despite a new (2006) job evaluation scheme that was supposed to deliver equal pay.

Apparently, some of the Council's top brass are seeking early retirement, presumably to get out of harm's way before the shit hits the fan which is bound to happen if you ask me, because if NLC were a private company I think there is little doubt that decisive action would have been taken long before now.

For example, how is it possible that Scotland's 4th largest council has not kept on top of and planned for its potential liabilities over equal pay?

North Lanarkshire Council has a team of internal auditors who are responsible for ensuring the Council's financial health; the auditors report directly to the Council's Corporate Management Team (CMT) which is responsible for managing (competently) all the risks facing the Council on an ongoing basis, financial and otherwise.

As an aside, this is why senior officials are paid such high salaries.  

North Lanarkshire is also externally audited by the supposedly independent Audit Scotland which reports to the local government watchdog, the Accounts Commission for Scotland. 

So the big question is how can North Lanarkshire have dug such a big hole for itself offer equal pay and why hasn't anyone stepped in to call time on the people who have been running the Council for the past 10 years?

Tea and Toast (17 November 2014)



A reader who was present at the recent Employment Tribunal hearing involving North Lanarkshire Council has got in touch to say that she was shocked at the Council's attempt to belittle the job of Home Care workers, as if all they do is make clients 'tea and toast'.

Now I'm not a Home Care worker, but my mother used to rely on support from home carers for a number of years, before she had to move into a residential home, and I have to say that their kindness, good humour hard work was vital in ensuring that my mum was able to live independently in later life, as her health slowly deteriorated. 

I'm sure that the carers who looked after my mum did make her a cup of tea from time to time, but they also did a hell of a lot more besides (which I saw with my own eyes)  which was all about her health, safety and wellbeing.

So if I am insulted at North Lanarkshire's attitude, then I can only imagine that the Council's Home Care staff must be hopping mad, and rightly so if you ask me.

And to add insult to injury, I'm told that the Council's evidence to the tribunal hearing also contained the barmy suggestion that the process of changing a 'continence pad' could completed in just one minute, i.e. 60 seconds. 

I just hope that more NLC Home Carers get along to the hearing in the New Year to hear for themselves what the Council's head of human resources, Iris Wylie, has to say.

I'm certainly planning a 'front row' seat.  

North Lanarkshire Council (8 November 2014)



A number of readers have been in touch over the recent Employment Tribunal involving North Lanarkshire Council where a Council witness apparently made some very unkind and uncomplimentary remarks about of the nature of the jobs carried out by Home Carers. 

Now I wasn't actually present at the hearing on that day and didn't hear what was said, but I'm told that the Council's portrayal of the vital work done by Home Carers was derogatory and unjustified.

So if you know anyone who was present at the recent Glasgow tribunal hearing and can tell me first hand what was said, I'd be delighted to hear from them.   

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!