Independence Debate



I watched the big independence debate last night between Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling which I enjoyed much more than I expected although as an undecided voter I didn't hear anything particularly new from the 'Yes' and 'Better Together' campaigns.  

Overall I thought that Alex Salmond put across a more compelling case and was the more accomplished performer, but I've always had time for Alistair Darling who used to be my constituency MP in Edinburgh. 

Because Darling has a quiet integrity, in my view, which showed when as Chancellor of the Exchequer he stood up to the bullying behaviour from Gordon Brown and his allies for telling the truth, as Darling saw things, over the scale and seriousness of the 2008 financial crash. 

On the night Salmond was, for the most part, calm, reasonable and very measured while Darling tried to change his outwardly dull political persona by transforming himself into a cross between Mr Angry and the Incredible Hulk at times.

But both men were unconvincing at different times: Salmond over the credibility of his plans for a currency union, post-independence, based on the the current pound sterling; Darling over new powers for the Scottish Parliament and whether he agreed with the Prime Minister, David Cameron, that 'Scotland is perfectly capable of becoming a successful, independent country'.

As an experienced negotiator myself over many years, I can understand Alex Salmond's desire not to debate Plan B  or C if a currency union doesn't come about, but surely the way to deal with that is to be straightforward and say that whatever happens Scotland would keep using the pound until a currency union is agreed or alternative arrangements are put in place. Either way this is a matter for future negotiation.

On the other hand I didn't understand Alistair Darling's reluctance to say that he agreed with David Cameron about Scotland's ability to stand on its own two feet - what 'in the name of the wee man' is difficult about that? It makes Alistair and the BT campaign sound shifty and unconvincing, unwilling to call a spade a spade.

So I am going to make my mind up over the next week or two - I've heard enough, the issues are clear, or at least as clear as they can be without 20/20 hindsight and foresight, and now it's time to decide which way I will cast my vote.   

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence