Old Habits Die Hard






I had to laugh at Daniel Finkelstein's thoughts about the absurdity of  everyday life in his Time's notebook column the other day, because it's occurred to me more than once recently that the recognised sign for 'getting the bill' is completely redundant these days.


So the baton passes to the next generation to find an appropriate hand gesture to fit in with these modern times.  

Chequing out

Finishing a meal the other day, I asked for the bill in the usual way. I scribbled in the air, simulating the writing of a cheque, thus saving the waiter the chore of coming all the way over to the table.

The sign is universally understood and I’ve never given it much thought. As I did it this time, however, it occurred to me that it has now been several years since I actually wrote a cheque when the bill arrived. Indeed, I don’t carry cheques at all. You probably don’t either. The bill is printed and we just pay on one of those card machines that take your pin number.

My children hardly know what a cheque is. I am just wondering whether they will be making that sign long after its origin has been forgotten.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence