War Studies


I came across the following quote in one of the newspapers the other day while catching up on the war of words about the future of shipbuilding on the Clyde:


Phillips O’Brien, director of the Scottish Centre for War Studies at the University of Glasgow, said it would be extremely difficult for the Scottish yards to emulate their Norwegian counterparts. Speaking on BBC Scotland’s Sunday Politics, Dr O’Brien said: 

“If you want to move into the civilian market that would require three things. One is investment. You would require hundreds of millions, if not billions, of pounds in investment to get the right tools and skills into the yards. Secondly, you would actually require a very good, co-operative relationship between the unions and management. Thirdly, you would need to get the right kind of ship - which is much more difficult.”

Now I don't know Dr O'Brien and I don't know whether his views carry much weight or not, but what puzzles me is why Glasgow University should have a Scottish Centre for War Studies.

Is the Centre funded by public money, I wondered - because if not, then how else does it survive?    

Phillips O'Brien seems like a perfectly nice chap, but the way, if he's the person I'm thinking of Phillip's is a thoughtful American academic - whom I've seen once or twice on the TV.


But right at this moment I'm more intrigued by the Scottish Centre for War Studies  than anything else that's in the news - maybe the internet can help.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence