Double Standards


Here's an email I've received from a male council worker in South Lanarkshire - one of the many who have been told recently to accept a big pay cut or face the prospect of having their contracts terminated - and then offered re-engagement in the same jobs  on inferior terms.

Now what I don't understand is how unions like Unite create a huge fuss and call strikes in places like Grangemouth - where they called the employer all the names of the day during a high profile national campaign.

But in Labour-run South Lanarkshire the same unions apparently won't say 'boo to a goose' - if local management heavy up and threaten to impose change.

Yet that's what has been going on in South Lanarkshire recently with long serving workers being told - right out of the blue - that their jobs are suddenly not worth what people have been getting paid for many years.

How can that be right - and how can it be happening without a word of protest from the trade unions? 

Strangely, the unions seem to find this acceptable in South Lanarkshire - while responding with the threat of strikes and industrial action in Grangemouth - where local Labour MPs have been falling over each other to offer their support. 

So, if you've got a story to tell drop me an email: markirvine@compuserve.com

I've been speaking to lots of male council workers in recent weeks and met up with people as well - which has helped me gather some very useful information. 


Hi Mark 

South Lanarkshire Council

I have read your blogs on equal pay in South Lanarkshire Council with interest and admire the way you try to bring to light the truth of how the council and SLC trade unions work.

I have worked for SLC for many years and have also acted as a union steward, and have become disenchanted at how both organisations conduct their business.

In recent weeks, staff who were put on a salary in 1998 (originally grade AP4 and then SCP 44) had more that £2 per hour cut from their hourly rate of pay which meant that their annual salary fell from £25,995 to £21,600 - all without any consultation or notice of intent.

The three main trade unions Unison, GMB and Unite sold their members these pay deals in 1998 and the early noughties every bit as much as the council. 

Yet now when I recently asked the Council Personnel if or when my pay grade had been changed, they denied I had ever been on that grade.

I am currently trying to negotiate something regarding my job, but I fear the cover up to stop yet another equal pay claim will mean that I end up having to take my case to a lawyer for constructive dismissal or accept what amounts to a huge pay cut - several thousand pounds - which will take my earnings back to what I earned in 1994.

You really couldn't make it up.


Name and address withheld (for obvious reasons) 

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!