Cassius and Rome


Here is the first published poem by Cassius Marcellus Clay - one of the greatest sporting figures the world has ever known - who went on to become even more famous, of course, after changing his name to Muhammad Ali.

How Cassius Took Rome

To make America great is my goal,
So I beat the Russian, and I bet the Pole,
And for the USA won the Medal of Gold.
Italians said: "You're greater than the Cassius of Old."
We like your name, we like your game,
So make Rome your home if you will.
I said I appreciate your kind hospitality,
But the USA is my country still.
'Cause they waiting to welcome me in Louisville.

How incredible that a black African American with two such historical names - would win a boxing Gold Medal at the 1960 Olympic Games and - of all places - in the ancient city of Rome. 

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!