Tent City


So the occupy protesters have finally been moved away - from their tent city outside of St Paul's Cathedral in London.

I can't say the occupy movement did much to inspire me - I know only too well that I didn't cause a run on the UK banks.

So I suppose that makes me one of the mythical 99% - but so what?

What I certainly don't need is a motley crew of anarchists, students and alternative lifstyle types - pitching their tents just about anywhere they like - and then claiming that they're acting on my behalf.

No one asked me for my approval - or even my opinion - yet this self-selected group all claim to be acting in the name of democracy.

Much as I agree with the sentiment of 'tarring and feathering' a few of the culprits - politicians, bankers and greedy borrowers too - I can't bring myself to say that a self-appointed mob should be the ones to dispense justice.

Not in my name anyway.

So it's about time people were moved along - though the legal proceedings have been a bit of a circus.

No one's interfering with the right to protest - all that's happening is that a few people are being told you can't just pitch up anywhere you like and call other people's property - your home from home.

The folks I saw and met when I was at St Paul's last year were all perfectly nice - but what's that got to do with anything?

I'm sure it's been great fun while it lasted - though the same was not true in Glasgow's version of tent city in George Square - which packed up long ago.

Yet before it did so a woman was attacked and raped - which all just goes to show that these things are all great fun until someone loses an eye - or worse.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!