Telling It Straight


A regular reader has kindly sent me a copy of their latest e-mail letter to the Leader of North Lanarkshire Council - Councillor Jim McCabe.

Now this is what local democracy should be all about - an exchange of views - points made with passion and conviction - but without being rude or offensive.

The big issue is that councils across Scotland - including North Lanarkshire - have been discriminating against many low paid, predominantly women's jobs - for years.

Where settlements have been reached - as in Edinburgh recently - it's not been the result of  generosity or out of the kindness of councillors hearts - as if they were doing people a favour.

No, not a bit of it - that is simply nonsense.

Because settlements have come about where councils have finally accepted that the women's jobs in question - were badly undervalued and underpaid for many years - which means that the people involved are entitled to be compensated for their loss.

Largely through the work of Action 4 Equality Scotland - I have to say - but that's another story for another day.

"Dear Councillor McCabe

Re Your Reply Sent 16.02.12

First of all can I assure you that 'No' your reply hasn't clarified what I asked of you.

Your letter answered things that I never asked of you and is obviously a standard letter drafted by your Legal Department. It was also written in legal speak and was 'Double Dutch' to me. A good metaphor of what you have done is this :-

'I asked you about apples and you answered in oranges'. You have deliberately avoided answering what I asked and gave me a list of things you have done that are not relevant to me.

Your letter was a huge disappointment in that, despite all the recent publicity about other councils losing their actions in 'trying to defend the indefensible' re Equal Pay, it would seem that North Lanarkshire Council are still putting their fingers in their ears and singing loudly, to avoid the issue.

You mention 'all money spent on the settlement of these claims represents a direct cost to Council service provisions in North Lanarkshire'. I take great exception to this as it was North Lanarkshire Council who created this situation by not paying (mainly female) employees the 'proper' amount of wages for years so it is money 'owed' to us and is NOT a present, nor is it us 'taking money' from other NLC residents, as is implied.

I have again included my letter beneath this email and would welcome an answer I can understand.

Yours sincerely


M"

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!