Rocket Man


Writing about regular space flights to Mars earlier reminded me of one of my favourite songs - which fired my imagination when I was young - 'Rocket Man' by Elton John.

I remember first hearing the song on the radio - as a young teenager - and it seemed to capture the spirit of the age - incredible mystery and glamour brought down to earth by prosaic charm.

I might have got things out of order - but if I recall correctly, a while later David Bowie brought out his space anthem - which told the tragic tale of Major Tom in 'Space Oddity'. 

And by the looks of things that's a good metaphor for the chances of one Newt Gingrich becoming the next President of America - because as I write - they seem to be floating off deep into outer space.

Here are the words and a You Tube link to Rocket Man.

http://youtu.be/1GAKOLOnfV4

Rocket Man by Elton John

She packed my bags last night pre-flight

Zero hour nine a.m.

And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then

I miss the earth so much I miss my wife

It's lonely out in space

On such a timeless flight


And I think it's gonna be a long long time

Till touch down brings me round again to find

I'm not the man they think I am at home

Oh no no no I'm a rocket man

Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone


Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids

In fact it's cold as hell

And there's no one there to raise them if you did

And all this science I don't understand

It's just my job five days a week

A rocket man, a rocket man


And I think it's gonna be a long long time...

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!