Turkey

The blog site has enjoyed a rush of visitors from Turkey this week.

Don't ask me why - but from time to time visitors from new countries burst on to the scene - sometimes these are countries I know - other times not.

Turkey is a place I've never been to - but I'd love to go.

I have a friend who holidays there regularly and says it's a great destination - whether you want to visit historical sites and places of interest - or just chill out and relax on the beach.

Me - I'd like to spend some time in Istanbul - go the the Turkish baths, have an old-fashioned hot shave - visit the famous Blue Mosque and wander around the markets. 

I've heard the street food is fantastic.

And I know from Turkish cuisine in this country that there's plenty of  choice for vegetarians - as well as all the spicy fish and meat dishes - which are so typical of the Meditteranean diet. 

The other reason I'd like to travel to Turkey is that it's a modern, secular country - with a predominantly Moslem culture - which has resisted to slide into religious fundamentalism and extremism.

People of different faiths - or no faith at all - living peacefully side by side - now that's a country to admire and encourage friendly relations with. 

So I hope Turkey is admitted to the European Union sometime soon - once all this terrible banking crisis is out of the way. 

One of the things holding up Turkey's application is its record on human rights - which the government says it is working hard to improve. 

Good for them. 

And it just goes to show how bonkers Britain would be to try and throw out our present  commitment to human rights legislation - when the real challenge is to make it worker better.

So Turkey is definitely on my list of places to visit soon - maybe next year.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!