Man vs Manatee

I read the other day that a furious battle is taking place in America's sunshine state - Florida - over the fate of a curious sea creature - the Manatee.

Now this captured my attention immediately.

Because I know about Manatees from my childhood - when I read about them in my bumper book of knowledge - an encyclopaedia which my parents gave me many years ago.

So I know that a Manatee is a mammal and is also known as a Sea Cow or Dugong - a native American name, if I remember correctly - and that in years gone by sailors used to think they were 'mermaids'.

At the time I thought this was perfectly plausible.

But as I've grown older and wiser - I've come to realise that any sailor mistaking a Manatee for a Mermaid - must have been drunk or stupid - or both.

Still the latest row is not over good looks and mermaids - but over 'water traffic' in the sunshine state.

Conservationists want to protect the Manatee from fast moving speed boats and suchlike - which kill many of these gentle creatures in Florida's shallow waterways.

The speed freaks want to be able to drive their boats without any let or hindrance - however.

So the scene is set for a battle royale.

Me - I'm on the side of the Manatee - even if it looks nothing like a mermaid.

Why can't folks who want to race speeedboats do it well out to sea - where they're not bothering other folks and the harmless Sea Cows?

Come to think of it - that's how Kirsty McColl was killed - by some ignorant oaf in a speed boat or jetski - which robbed the world of another gentle creature.

Kirsty's beautiful voice can still be heard on the best Christmas song in musical history - 'Fairy Tale of New York'.

I'm sure that Kirsty McColl and The Pogues would all be in favour of saving the Manatee - so the Sea Cow and the Dugong get my vote too.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence