Part of the Union

I wrote the other week about the importance of 'doing the right thing' - at the time I couldn't recall why these words suddenly jumped into my head.

Then I remembered - the words came from a diary I kept - many years ago when I worked with Unison .

Gradually the daily entries took on a life of their own - and like Topsy they just growed and growed.

Anyway, I gave my diary a title - 'Part of the Union' - which became a detailed record of a very turbulent yet significant time in my life.

And here's the relevant passage:

"I smiled a wry smile at how things had turned out. I marvelled at my absolute, crazy determination not to give in, despite the personal cost. I marvelled at the brass neck of friends who disappeared like snow off a dyke.

 I marvelled at the courage of others who took their place as if I had known them a lifetime. I marvelled at the words, sayings and songs, which had inspired me, made me laugh, or comforted me in times of crisis. I wrote down my top ten:

1. If you wait by the side of a river long enough, the bodies of your enemies eventually float past. Old Chinese proverb

2. The time is always right to do the right thing. Martin Luther King Jnr

3. When the water starts boiling it is foolish to turn off the heat. Nelson Mandela

4. Stupid is as stupid does. Forest Gump

5. There’s no greater power than the power of saying goodbye. Madonna

6. I must be crazy to be in here with you nuts. J P McMurphy

7. You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity. Buzz Lightyear

8. Matt has all the team working qualities of a medieval Pope. Joe Di Paola

9. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Tony Blair

10. If you stop running, they can’t chase you. Mick McGahey"

It's amazing how these words and phrases come back into my writing - form time to time - but they still inspire me to this day.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!