Saints and Sinners

Speaking of invitations I notice that the muderous thug and President of Zimbabwe - Robert Mugabe - was at the Vatican yesterday - for the 'beatification' of Pope John Paul II.

Mugabe and his entourage are banned from travelling elsewhere in Europe - because of sanctions imposed by the European Union.

Mugabe's government has also been widely condemed for its use of violence and torture to terrify political opponents - and for allowing its people to starve while the country's leaders live in the lap of luxury.

So how can it be right for the Vatican to invite this elderly despot as a welcome guest of the church - to an event that is supposed to be all about 'saintly' as opposed to 'sinful' behaviour?

OK - so maybe that's a dumb question when you consider the historical role of the church - but you know what I mean.

And while I'm on the subject let me say a word or two about miracles.

Because the Catholic church apparently requires people to be credited with two miracles - before they can be officially declared a 'saint'. 

John Paul II has reportedly been credited with one miracle so far - that of 'curing' a French nun who suffered from Parkinson's Disease.

Now I'm not sure what scientific basis there is to support such a claim - none I guess.

But my late mother suffered from Parkinson's Disease - and I can safely say that a more kindly or pious person than my dear old Mum - never walked on this earth.

So I - for one - take great offence to the suggestion that organised religion plays a part in combating and living with such a terrible condition as Parkinson's Disease.

As Mark Twain once famously said: "Faith is all about believing in something - you know ain't true". 

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence