Ten Years on

Ten years ago today - I stopped working for Unison.

A journey which began as a union (Nupe) steward at Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow ended up - after several years in London - with me as Unison's Head of Local Government and chief negotiator in Scotland.

I had resigned from the Labour party a few months earlier and - in doing so - publicly criticised the all too cosy relationship that existed between the unions and new Labour - on issues such as PFI (Private Finance Initiative).

Shortly afterwards, my twenty-year trade union career came to an abrupt end - albeit on terms that I was more than satisfied with at the time.

Looking back, I can honestly say that I've achieved much more in terms of equal pay - working with Action 4 Equality Scotland and Stefan Cross - than I would have achieved by staying in my old union role.


Because the reality is that the trade unions lost their way - pulled their punches at crucial times - and ultimately gave up the fight.

The 1999 Single Status Agreement was intended to be a complete break with the past - and should have delivered a much better deal to tens of thousands of women's jobs - (carers, cooks, cleaners and classroom assistants) -
that had been underpaid and undervalued for years.

But the unions and the employers both reneged on their promises to change things for the better - behaving just like the worst kind of politician - saying one thing and then doing another!

Ten years on, as I reflect on what's happened since - I must say a heartfelt 'thank you' to Unison and some of my old union colleagues who - albeit unintentionally - provided me with the means to a happier, more fulfilling life.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!